2.28.2008

Kid-Free Zone

Here’s an open request for all the parents out there: Please refrain from bringing children to an infertility clinic (as someone did to mine this morning). It’s like walking into a Weight Watchers meeting with a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts – it’s just plain wrong. I love kids – that’s why I’m going through this hell – but I don’t need a reminder on how far removed motherhood feels when I’m about to be poked, prodded and get intimate with an ultrasound wand digging around for follicles.

I get that you might be going through secondary infertility, and I’m sympathetic. Really, I am. I can get my mind around the fact that being unable to have #2 would be really, really hard, particularly once you’ve had the taste of pregnancy and motherhood. So if I can make that leap from here, can you please stop and think for a moment that bringing a baby into a room where women are gathered because they can’t have one might be just an eensy weensy bit insensitive?

Infertility is hard enough. Please don’t add insult to injury. Find a babysitter.

-J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! I was appalled when, at my first infertility clinic, the waiting room was adjacent to the obstetrics waiting area. That meant that when I went out to get bloodwork etc., I'd be waiting with happy pregnant women. At Boston IVF, they have a nice sign that says that they love children, but patients with small children should use the Family Waiting Area.
Seems like a no-brainer!!