12.15.2007

To Fertell or Not to Fertell

If you're new to this infertility thing, you have probably just gone to a dozen internet sites (a lot of them are really bad, aren't they?) and it's hard to know what's fact, and what's the opinion of a random yahoo chatroom person who's sort of a bad speller. So, thought I'd share with you the process as I have experienced it.

To give you a preview:
1) Not really "trying" but not on the Pill anymore
2)Used Fertell fertility test (available at drugstores)
3) Saw a doctor (reproductive gynecologist)
4) had blood, semen and HSG tests
5) took "time off" from worrying about it (i.e. didn't start IUI right away)
6) found a new doctor and are about to get started with him

My husband and I are both 37, and started trying when we were 36 - next month it will be one year (sorry to people who have been trying for a lot longer). At first, I thought, "I'll just go off the Pill and won't really think about it and we'll see what happens." Getting pregnant in January would have been sort of inconvenient for me workwise (can't believe I ever thought like that!) and would have cut into my ski season, so I didn't mind if it took a few months. In my mind, we'd just have fun for three months, and then we'd get serious and I'd get pregnant. I thought about being eight months pregnant at Christmas and wouldn't I look awful in pictures, haha but it'd be fun to have a January baby and Capricorns are very organized and kind and are all good students (at least, my sister is) so that would make for an easy first child.

Ah, the good old days. I have to say, one of the only good things about having a hard time getting pregnant is all that "I hope I have a girl/I hope she's cute and has blue eyes and doesn't get his eyebrows or she'll have to buy stock in Nads" is totally out the window. I just want a baby - any baby.

In April, I decided we needed to really try. I had been using ovulation predictors (aka pee sticks) so I'm not sure what "really try" meant (I guess have sex more than one time around the ovulation surge because I was away or we were both tired or my nails were wet) and not skimp on sticks because they are so ridiculously expensive. I also visited websites like babycenter.com, and at that time, I remember feeling like they were so cute, and wasn't it fun to use the ovulation calendar, and see when the baby would be born, or visit the chinese predictor site (to see if it would be a boy or girl) - the whole thing was fun and sort of exciting and I didn't mind the popups for baby toys or maternity clothes (how much fun was it going to be to buy a whole new wardrobe??). By the way, on a bad day, those same popups now make me cry...but we're not there yet.

When we weren't pregant by June (looking back I can't believe how long those few months seemed - it's crazy) I broke down in CVS and bought Fertell. It's a fertility test for you and for him - and it's $100. I measured my days wrong (I counted in 24 hour blocks instead of just Day 1, Day 2, Day 3) and when I called their 800 number, they immediately FedExed another test, so I have to give them snaps for customer service.

For ONCE, the Fertell test is easier for you than it is for your guy. You just have to - can you guess? - pee on a stick on the right day. He has to ejaculate into a little plastic cup thing and then there is some waiting and twisting of caps and after about an hour, you'll know if his sperm count is normal. For you, Fertell measures FSH (sorry, I know we promised no alphabet soup) defined as:

Follicle Stimulating Hormone – A hormone secreted by the pituitary gland in the brain. In women, follicle stimulating hormone stimulates the growth of ovarian follicles, which allows for the egg to mature prior to ovulation. High levels of FSH can cause the egg to be released before it has fully matured, making the egg incapable of fertilization.

Basically, my understanding is that if your FSH level is too high, your ovarian reserve isn't good - i.e. your eggs are gettin old.

The male test measures motile sperm - i.e. good swimmers who can get to the egg. If there are more than 10 million sperm per milliliter of semen (I am not kidding) then things are looking good (apparently that is a World Health Organization standard).

We got good news on both tests, and I have to say, I was thinking, WAIT a minute, he has at least 10 million sperm per MILLILITER and I'm not pregnant??? But then I read that if he has less than 20 million per milliliter, he's considered infertile. Here are some other facts I've learned (from New England Journal of Medecine type websites, but still, not sure if all of these are 100% correct):

In last 50 years, men's sperm count - worldwide - has dropped by half. (And everyone is blaming women having careers for the increase in infertility - HA)

After sex, it takes between 5 minutes and 70 minutes for sperm to reach the fallopian tubes (can you believe we're talking about this? I know, me neither).

Sperm can live for 12-48 hours if conditions are right inside you - but the estimates on this seem to vary wildly.

Your egg can only be fertilized for about a 12-24 hour period - some websites say 6 hours, some say 24, but basically, the window is a LOT SMALLER than they made it sound in 8th grade!! I mean, on the bus in 9th grade Robyn Hunter told me that you could get pregnant on the last day of your period - and she knew everything! Damn her. Liar.

Sperm quality is best if he has ejaculated 2 days prior but not more than 7 days prior (apparently they get a little funny in there if they haven't gotten out for some action).

Aha, I thought as I read this. Now I know why men are such horny freakshows! They are biologically wired to have an orgasm at least every three or four days. We get a hormonal surge once a month, and they get the most powerful drug known to humankind - testosterone - pumping 24/7. Again, not fair.

But as usual, I digress.

So, do I recommend Fertell? As a starting point, yes. If you don't think you want to go to the doctor right away, you can take the test and if it's normal, you can keep trying, which is what we did. The test isn't comprehensive - there could be plenty of other reasons you can't conceive, but it's sort of a good start, and it's over the counter, which is nice, and it doesn't require any blood tests, humiliating procedures or parking tickets when you can't get a space and your doctor's appointment is in four minutes (don't kid yourself, she's going to take you 49 minutes late anyway). It costs about $100, but if you're like me, and you can never get enough information about anything, it'll give you some peace of mind about two things, at least.

Next post I'll talk about the tests at the doctor's office and what to expect with those (in case you're wondering, yeah, not fun. Sorry).

-L

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great information!! Thank you so much!

mabel said...

now am so happy to get know this faithful man of our time who helped me with his product of herbal herbs,so i contacted him with his email which is babakule@outlook.com thereafter , i told him on how to send the cost of the herbal herbs which is just 350USD.so as soon as he got he money and he send to me the product with the address i send to him.i kept using it time i was confirm that am pregnant by my doctor.i never know this man before,but he makes me to believe in him more and more cos he never allow his work to went wrong.he so faithful and real. i thank you so much i promise that i will keep sharing more testimonies about your work. am stela in finland.
babakule@outlook.com+2347052944754

mabel said...

Thank you so much for sharing your testimony. I am now pregnant after a miscarriage and feeling the same fears you expressed NOW . I’ve been so afraid to tell people but NOW GOD USE BABAKULE TO HELP ME AND MAKES ME GET PREGNANT WITH HIS NATURALLY HERBAL HERBS .babakule@outloo.com+2347052944754

mabel said...

Pregnancy went on without any complications and I gave birth to a beautiful baby in July 2011. Halleluah !
I sat for some exams during the pregnancy which I had not been able to clear previously and cleared it EFFORTLESSLY. Miracle indeed! Also, slowly but surely our financial situation is improving - from being in the red to seeing positive cash flow.all came through with the present babakule natural herbal herbs that i ordered for at the little cost .whtich he sent to me into my country.God used him to bless me indeed this man is good and faithful with GOd herbs.babakule@outloo.com+2347052944754

Sangita, Singapore

mabel said...

Dear BABAKULE, your program of herbal herbs is by far the best plan for treating fibroids naturally...the practical step by step instructions and the detailed information regarding the real cause and how to eliminate uterine fibroids were a real eye opener. I started using your herbal herbs after intense bleeding and pain which occurred during one of my rehearsals .after short period of time i got pregnant and gave birth to a child.thanks for your support.babakule@outloo.com+2347052944754

Anonymous said...

Don’t think of anything else just contact priest eka and purchase some of his herbal medication and your depression will go away. This was my state of mind when my doctor told me that i will not be able to concieve due to the Fibroid that was rolling in my family life and when i decide to reach out to the priest, and the priest told me what to do in other to get the medication. Eventually I receive all the Herbal medications that cure my Fibroid and give me the chance to become a proud mother: Eka is a great spiritualist, He did it for me, you can contact Eka on (dreka14demons@gmail.com). If you are suffering from the following gynecology disease::
1. Fibroid, Asthma, All STD, sinus infection, unexplain miscarriage
2.High Blood Pressure (herbs to reduce your BP within 7days)
3. Infection, regular body pains (yeast infection),urine tract infection.
4. Blockage from the fallopian Tube, Hepatitis
5. Cyst from the ovaries, PCOS
6. Unpleasant smell from the virginal, virginal itching
7. Irregular menstruation
8. Weakness of the penis (not able to have sex with your partner or inability to satisfy your partner sexually)
9. Watering sperm (low sperm count) not able to get woman pregnant.
10. Infertility for easy Conception.......
11. Cure from all kinds of Skin diseases, Toilet infection and bad body odor…….Etc..
Simply contact the spiritualist DrEka on (dreka14demons@gmail.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your disease and put yourself on a motherhood side of life..

Michelle Manes said...

You need help to GET PREGNANT? contact Priest Babaka on this email (babaka.wolf@gmail.com), i am here to share my testimony on HOW I CONCEIVE my babies after i suffer from PCOS and my TUBES ARE TIED, i have been married to my husband for 11 years without no issue. i had problems with my in-laws even my husband started to have new affairs aside our marriage.it was a very terrible thing to bear, been to many doctors and yet my case remain the same, i was now seen as always unhappy. my husband was not given me any attention that i needed from him. on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on Trying To Conceive with pcos and my tubes are tied, and i came across a story of a woman who Priest Babaka helped to conceive a twins under same condition as mine. so i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life. today i am a proud mom with two son.contact him today via email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priestly.babaka he will surely make your dreams come through

Latiesha Bell said...

My name are Latiesha Bell my great testimony on how i conceive With the help of a man called Dr Zico I was able to get pregnant. I'm 39, it was really difficult for me to conceive, I was diagnosed with PCOS and premature ovarian failure but after many years of trying, I came across Dr Zico whose email address is zicoherbalhome@gmail.com, I bought a pregnancy herbs (natural ingredents ) from him and he sent it to me through UPS and after I used it as he instructed, I fall pregnant two weeks latter I'm 7 months pregnant now. Also I will like to advice anyone looking for help to get pregnant to contact this very man, his prayers/guidelines and herbs are effective. his email address: zicoherbalhome@gmail.com