5.03.2008

Happy ISD

Happy Infertility Survival Day! That's right, it's May 4th (the first Sunday in May - before Mother's Day). And hey, we use acronyms for everything else in our lives (FSH, IVF, IUI, DPO...) so why not Infertility Survival Day?

Doesn't really have the same ring as "Happy Mother's Day" does it?

I have to admit that I never thought I'd need a national infertility survival day - or be sort of glad that someone (the author of Infertility Sucks) came up with one. But I've been dreading Mother's Day without realizing that I'm dreading it.

I realize that there are all these dates and events for which I thought I'd be pregnant (my high school reunion, weddings, Christmas, etc.) and as we were planning trips, I'd think things like, "well, Napa would be a bad idea because I probably won't be able to drink wine."

Mother's Day 2008 was one of the days for which I had a different vision. When we got married two years ago, I figured we'd need a babysitter along with dinner reservations to celebrate our second anniversary. And last year on Mother's Day I thought, "yikes, next year maybe I'll be getting a card!"

Instead, I'm writing about Happy Infertility Survival Day. Not really what I was expecting - no pun intended.

- L.

No comments: